Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Forgive & you will be Forgiven

I've been thinking a lot about forgiveness and being forgiven lately, so I decided to search a bit to see what I could find that might help me to understand the importance of forgiveness in my life. I don't know about you- but when someone does me wrong, it's the hardest thing for me to just let it go. I think about it all the time, and ponder it, and minute by minute I can feel more and more steam rising off of me:) Why do I do this to myself?? I am only hurting me; it's not like my thoughts are going to walk out and take revenge on what I'm so worked up about, so why not just turn to God first and let him take control of my emotions first and foremost?? I found this quote by Anton Bosch in a reading that I had and it really hit home for me:

When we live with bitterness and unforgiveness in our hearts, our whole outlook, spirit and attitude is contaminated by that bitterness. When we live with a grudge, we struggle to enter into healthy relationships with others and it also affects our relationship with the Lord.

Forgiving is not easy for me, never has been, and never will be. I don't know if it's just a lot of stubbornness coming out of me or what, but I do know that I want to learn to be a better forgiver:) I just might need a few nudges along the way!!

Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Luke 6:37

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy times seven." Matthew 18: 21-22

~JM~

3 comments:

Abbie said...

Thanks for the reminder...I think we all struggle at times with forgiveness, Britt - so don't feel like you're the only one! :)

Anonymous said...

I read your blog a lot and you are a talented writer. Forgiveness is one of the most important things in life because without it you can't live. Bitterness and grudges won't allow us to live in complete happiness and peace. The Lord desires for us to live in peace. I don't know your situation, but I'm glad that even though forgiveness is hard you realize how important it is. There's a little book my mom gave me once on unforgiveness, but right now I loaned it to someone, I may try to give it to you someday it was good and you may like it. We all have struggles-you're not alone! Brooke Thompson

Chelsa said...

Brittany- I did a post on forgiveness last year (september or october maybe?). I too struggle w/ forgiveness... but you shoudl read that post!