Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Symbol of your Life

For one of my education classes, we were to choose one item that we felt represented our lives to this particular day. When given this information, I left school thinking, "ONE item that represents my life- are you kidding? I have at least 20!!" But the more I thought about it, the more I kept coming back to this one particular item. Not because it would be different, but because it sustained and represented both sides of my family for years and years before I was born. I found this topic very interesting because I actually got to dig into my family's history (which I love doing), and learn about very special people that I never had the opportunity to meet. This fact deeply touched my heart because, as I was reading, I realized that I was reading about grandparents I had never met, and that one day my children will be curious about their grandpa they never got to meet. It's hard to think that one day my children will never be thrown in the air and caught in his strong arms, or hear his laughter when they say something silly. It's hard because only I will know what they are missing, they will never know, because they never had it... But anyway, I'll share a little paragraph of what I chose to represent me:

Head coverings are simply a symbol that represents the Mennonite religion and its beliefs and practices. In my family, coverings worn by women have been passed down from generation to generation, developing a history of changes that time has brought to the religion. I feel that a covering represents my life to date because it is a symbol of who I am as an individual, where I come from, and the beliefs that my family stands firm upon. It describes the characteristics of the ancestors who went before me, the lives that they lived, and the faith that they believed in. They passed it down to their children so that one day it could be passed down to me and to my future family. I believe in tradition, I believe in family, and I believe that knowing where one comes from is a sense of self that can never be replaced. My family is Mennonite. Wer bist du?
(Who are you?)

~JM~

2 comments:

Tammy@Fear Not said...

Wow! You choose head coverings. I know you're referring to a physical covering. But when you said that, I pictured, in the canvas of my mind, His Spirit covering. Like a beacon of light raining down from above, covering head and all. What a beautiful picture too.

I'm clueless to the pain of your loss (haven't experienced it yet). But oh how I hope HE is your Abba, Daddy in the absence of your beloved earthly one. Our Heavenly father's arms comes through others. I hope HE gives you a hug for me!

Chelsa said...

Great post and great idea!