Wednesday, November 18, 2009

All I Ask For Anymore

When I was a baby, I asked to be fed, held, and loved...

When I was a toddler, I asked for attention, learning new things, creating messes, and being rocked to sleep by momma & daddy...

When I was a young girl, I asked to sleep in the middle, for too many barbies & dolls, for someone to play dress-up, and for my parents to be at every gymnastics practice, volleyball and softball game, field trip, and anything else that involved ME:)

When I was a teenager, I asked for cars, prom dresses, more clothes, high heels, new make-up, expensive haircuts, vacations, anything that involved spending money.... I asked for praise, to be told I was right even when I knew I was wrong, to never get in trouble when walking in the door late at night, and for financial support for whatever dreams I had of the future.... I expected every dream to come true and never dreamt of losing anything...

At 20 years old, I ask for protection of my precious sisters and my mom, for their good health, longevity, their love, acceptance, wisdom, advice, and assurance that, "it's gonna be okay and we'll make it." I ask for these things because that's all that matters anymore.

It seems that sometimes we have to lose something before we can see the special life that we were given, and how easily that special life can be gone in the blink of an eye.

~JM~

1 comment:

Abbie said...

I love the way you wrote this out, Britt! You are so right...as we grow our needs and wants don't center around ourselves so much as the people we love. And losing someone we love so deeply only changes your prespective even more, I'm sure. You are growing thru all this, Britt - even though it's not how you wanted it to happen. HE has a plan. I love you!