Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"Where I'm From"

For my education 306 class tomorrow I had to fill in the blanks to this poem titled, "Where I'm from". Each line had to start with 'I am from', and in the blanks in between said (fill with adjective, or object) etc... each word filled in had to relate to me in some way! I know it might sound kind of dumb, but I love doing stuff like this so I thought I would share it:)


"Where I'm From"

I am from blue jeans,
from Prairie Farms milk and Hershey's chocolate.
From the open fields where the cattle graze.
(Quaint, quiet, but unordinary in many ways.)
I am from Gerbera daisies,
the colorful petals full of the evening sunshine.
I'm from Sunday dinners and stubborn tempers,
from Peter and from James.
I'm from the die-hard sports fans,
and hard workers that never give up.

I'm from 'yellow means to speed up' and 'God is good'.
I'm from a cotten-ball Lamb
who spoke the Ten Commandments to which I should closely follow.
I'm from Montgomery and Elizabeth's branch,
fried chicken and mashed potatoes.
From the finger my aunt lost to the pulley,
to the dent in my daddy's face from an auger.
In our wooden cabinets lay dozens of picture albums.
Some containing the ancestors who went before me,
and others lost in all of the life of my sisters and I.
I live because of those memories,
laying out the footsteps in which I will follow.






Haha... I love this picture!!! I think I was around 5 when I first started tee-ball, and of course, daddy was the coach:)
This past summer, dad & I got to coach the 12&Under girls- which also had our two little girls, Bri & Bay!!:) Now I see what a blessing that opportunity was...

Gone, but not forgotten...
I love you so much, daddy.
~JM~

4 comments:

Ali Gish said...

Britt that poem is beautiful!! Great job girl!!

Rose said...

I loved the poem too, you have a gift for writing. I am sure your Dad would be so proud.

Anonymous said...

hey britt, have you know that was the best softball year that i have had!! great job on the poem too

Anonymous said...

i just left a comment but forgot to put my name tracy graber