Sunday, January 4, 2009

Daddy's Playlist

I've been sitting around thinking all day of the songs that dad loved or that reminded me of our time together, and I thought it would be neat to write them all down and share them with you... and to refresh my memory:)

"All-American Girl(s)"
Since the day they got married
He'd been praying for a little baby boy
Someone he could take fishing
Throw the football and be his pride and joy
He could already see him holding that trophy
Taking his team to state
But when the nurse came in with a little pink blanket
All those big dreams changed
And now, he's wrapped around her finger
She's the center of his whole world
And his heart belongs to his sweet, little, beautiful, wonderful, perfect
All American girls

My dad was a boy's boy inside in & out... We would all laugh at the odds of him having all 3 girls!! But, we also laughed at the fact that God knew he probably couldn't handle the "messiness" of boys-- he was a "clean-freak"!!!:) As most of you know, we were daddy's whole world, anything we wanted he would try his very best to do; spoiled-rotten we were, but I have never seen love any deeper than what he gave to us.

"Still Cleaning this gun (Come on in Boy)"
Now it's all for show
Ain’t nobody gonna get hurt
It’s just a daddy thing
And hey, believe me, man it works
(Chorus)Come on in boy sit on down
And tell me about yourself
So you like my daughter do you now?
Yeah we think she's something else
She's her daddy's girl
Her momma's world
She deserves respect
That’s what she'll get
Now ain't it son?
Y’all run along and have a little fun
I'll see you when you get back
Probably be up all night
Still cleanin' this gun

This was my dad's ringtone for me on his cell phone... and I must say, it rang in very true to him:) I can remember calling him soon after I got my license and asking him for 30 minutes longer at a boy's house and I'll never forget the reply I always got when I so often requested this extended time... "Britt, thirty minutes longer and you better be home." Even this year when I would be home from school and come in to tell him I was in for the night, he would pretend to be sleeping, but I always knew he wasn't:) he wouldn't really fall asleep until I was home and he knew I was safe!

"My Little Girl"
When you were in trouble that crooked little smile could melt my heart of stone.
Now look at you, I've turned around and you've almost grown.
Sometimes you're asleep I whisper "I Love You!" in the moonlight at your door.
As I walk away, I hear you say, "Daddy Love You More!
Your beautiful baby from the outside in.
Chase your dreams but always know the road that'll lead you home again.
Go on, take on this whole world. But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl.

This was a favorite of his!! I can still see the look on his face when he would hear this song... So many times I would hear it, and it always felt like he was the one that wrote it for me and my sisters.

"I Walk the Line" by Johnny Cash
My dad and I were both big fans of Johnny Cash!! I can still see us belting out the lyrics in his truck to this song when we would hear it on the radio:) of course, he could get those lower notes a lot better than I could!!

Steven Curtis Chapman- all of his songs were favorites of my daddy's!! This was part of the reason why his song "Cinderella" was so special to me.

Missing you.
~JM~

1 comment:

Chels said...

I so remember him singing the song "I Kissed a girl" this summer. He was so silly! I can still hear him singing it :)